- 12 bamboo skewers
For the Skewers:
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup sake
- ⅓ cup mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Miso Ranch Dressing:
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Step 1Soak bamboo skewers in water.
- Step 2Cut chicken thighs in half lengthwise along the creases and halve the thicker portions to get 3 or 4 pieces each. Place chicken in a bowl. Pour in soy sauce, sake, mirin, ginger, green onions, brown sugar, and oil. Toss by hand until well combined and brown sugar is dissolved. Cover top in plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 6 hours.
- Step 3Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, and miso in a bowl. Add green onion, garlic, tarragon, dill, and chives. Season with black pepper and cayenne. Whisk dressing until thoroughly combined.
- Step 4Thread chicken pieces onto skewers. Strain marinade into a saucepan and bring to a boil to make the glaze.
- Step 5Preheat a grill for medium-high heat. Grill skewers, basting with some of the reserved marinade, until meat firms up and springs back to the touch, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Step 6Serve skewers next to the miso ranch dressing and brush with reserved glaze.